Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Suffering at the Foot of the Cross

From my description of this blog: "It’s not always ours to defend, to win, to give, to lead…but sometimes to be defended, lost, broken, given, taken, and led…suffering to the foot of the cross..."

In Isaiah chapter 1, I was touched by God's desire to bandage up our wounds, tend to our afflictions - yet we'd rebelled. In Ezekiel, I was amazed by how God reached out to His people over and over trying to explain to them He just wanted to be their God, to provide for them, to help them - to be present. In John 17, I was encouraged by the loving discussion between our Father God and His Son regarding us. In Revelation, I was surprised to see God, once again, seeking the lost and revealing His Son.

There are more examples of God's loving ways towards us in His Word. My favorite verse: 1 Peter 5:10-11 - "And the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will Himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. To Him be the power for ever and ever. Amen."

I've learned to talk with God about the things going on - many times just in my thoughts, sometimes on my knees - doesn't really matter the physical posture. But when I bring my thoughts, no matter what they are, to God - He hears and the more I do, the more often He gives me clear feedback. Relationship. Conversation. Presence.

I still wait on Him to answer on some big things in my life. Some things I've waited for answers for 20 years. And, yes, I get frustrated by these sometimes and cry out to God in that frustration. But it's in the daily things I bring to God and the answers He provides daily and moment by moment that gives me the strength to Trust God in the big things...and to sometimes leave them in His hands for a bit - knowing He's sitting with me there in the waiting room holding them for me. This makes me strong, firm and steadfast – it’s a result of trusting close relationship with God that He made possible through Christ.

I talk with God many times throughout the day - asking Him questions, telling Him secrets, allowing Him into my thought processes, asking for His creative solutions to problems, etc. I am learning daily to love and trust my Savior and my God.

I have a Savior who suffered. He knows what it’s like. I have a Father God who has waited. He knows what it’s like. Why wouldn’t I trust Him? That trust plays out in a confidence knowing that whatever this life brings each day – He knows and is present with me closer than any friend.

1 comment: